Loft is a modern industrial-urban style of interior, characterized by an abundance of open space and the presence of industrial elements (very high ceilings, unfinished brick walls, exposed beams and pipes, cement floor, etc.).
This style came into fashion and became extremely popular both in the USA, where it comes from, and in Europe. It is preferred by creative, freedom-loving people who value practicality, creativity and minimalism. Despite the fact that interior decoration according to all the canons of a loft seems to be quite budgetary, it is rightfully considered one of the most expensive styles in the world..
The roots of the loft have their roots in the factory districts of Manhattan in the 40s of the last century. Due to the rapid rise in land rental prices in the city center, industrial enterprises were forced to relocate their production to the suburbs. Empty buildings were sold for pennies, which was used by representatives of the New York bohemia.
In such premises, young artists and musicians held exhibitions, created and settled in huge open spaces with their inherent creative approach. Already by the 50s, these apartments had become very popular and significantly increased in price due to their convenient and elite location, spaciousness and special urban charm. Thus, abandoned factory and warehouse areas turned into luxury loft-style dwellings..
Following the USA, the crisis shook most European cities. Factories and factories have vacated the central streets. Empty premises began to be equipped for residential apartments, guided by fashionable American trends.
Loft style in the interior: general characteristics
Translated from English “loft” literally means an attic, attic, gallery, top floor of a warehouse or factory building. Indeed, the interior in the loft style initially resembles a workshop or workshop. But looking closely, you can notice the original style of the home and appreciate the bold taste of its owners..
A loft is a huge open space. As it is right, it has more than one hundred square meters and is abundantly filled with natural sunlight shining through wide windows. Its main and distinctive features are high ceilings and the absence of any partitions..
Once in the loft interior, you can effortlessly see the opposite corner of the room. In such an industrial space, only the bathroom, bedroom and utility rooms are isolated from prying eyes. The toilet is always hidden, while the bath can be located directly in the sleeping area.
The harmonious combination of various architectural solutions is the main concept of the style. In such a space, the elements of antiquity (frayed brick walls, peeling frames, metal stairs and ventilation systems that are in plain sight) look quite naturally next to modern technology, practical lighting systems, chrome details and mirrors..
The main features of the loft style:
- Free and open plan. Minimal use of interior walls and partitions is the main motto of the style.
- High ceilings. The industrial loft is recognizable primarily due to its light, unattainable ceilings in tandem with load-bearing beams, exposed ventilation structures or communication pipes..
- Rough wall decoration. An abundance of concrete, careless plastering and brickwork are essential elements that emphasize the pristine warehouse space.
- Bright hues. Despite some rudeness and negligence, a modern loft does not tolerate details that are too dark, absorbing natural light. To ensure maximum sun penetration into the room, curtains are usually not used..
- Fireplaces and stoves. Traditionally, they served to heat cold factory premises. Over time, these elements of the loft style became its undoubted highlight and firmly entrenched in the interior..
- Ladders. The height of the ceiling and the width of the space allow you to easily equip the second level. For example, for a bedroom or work area. The most popular materials for stairs are wood and metal.
- Multifunctional furniture. For this style, it is appropriate to combine modern, designer furniture with details “from the last century”. Tones are selected mostly neutral, with only a small splash of bright accents..
The traditional loft-style interior is a large open space with brick walls, floors made of concrete or natural materials, minimal furniture, bright accessories and modern appliances. Modern designers divide loft into several areas:
- Bohemian. The features of the classic factory building have been fully preserved. However, furniture and accessories are selected with creativity inherent in creative personalities. Here, new design solutions are combined with old, shabby, as if accidentally found in a landfill, interior items. When creating a bohemian loft, you should give preference to objects of art as a decor. In such a playful and free atmosphere, they can absolutely not be combined with each other. Mostly these are paintings in the avant-garde style, sculptures, ikebana and musical instruments.
- Glamorous. The so-called glamorous loft stands out for its peculiar color palette. Supporters of such an interior choose a non-traditional combination of pastel shades of spectral colors. For example, it can be gray-brown or gray-lilac gamut. Particular attention is paid to the decor – lamps, chandeliers, shades, LED lighting, floor lamps. Baroque mirrors, large plants in concrete pots and skins on the floor can also serve as a highlight of such a space..
- Industrial (industrial). This is the most popular loft trend in interior design. To embody it in a living space, like an apartment or a country house, it is worth creating the atmosphere of a production building or a factory workshop. For this, metal structures, ventilation pipes, wooden trusses, and wires are used. The furniture is as functional as possible, with regular geometric shapes.
The loft is ideal for lovers of space, air and natural light. Of course, not everyone has access to an absolutely open layout of the home. But adding the basic elements of this attic style is possible in almost any space..
Distinctive elements of the loft in the interior
To create an interior in this unique style, a large room without partitions (or with minimal use of them), with huge windows and concrete or brick walls typical of a loft is ideal. The entire space should be built on a combination of modern and old (intentionally aged) materials, textures and surfaces. Skillfully combining distinctive style elements, even in a small apartment with low ceilings, you can add a little urban charm.
Walls. The open floor plan eliminates the presence of massive interior walls. They are left only to isolate bathrooms, utility rooms or bedrooms. For zoning space, walls can be replaced with interior partitions. Glass blocks, through racks, screens are perfect as such partitions. Also, to create different zones, you can use furniture (bar counter in the kitchen) or the boundaries of dividing the flooring by type of material.
When it comes to painting the loft-style walls, it should be in keeping with the pristine industrial style. For example, all load-bearing walls are brick or concrete, without plaster. They can also be roughly plastered or casually coated with white or gray water-based paint..
In an ordinary small apartment, the walls are laid out with decorative brickwork or wooden planks. Wallpaper covering in such an interior is taboo. In rare cases, the exception is wallpaper imitating a brick or an old stone wall..
Loft style floor. Concrete is a classic floor covering for a production hall. The downside is that by its nature it is rather cold and not practical. In this case, it can be replaced with:
- Mosaic concrete;
- Plank floor (or laminate imitating it);
- Ceramic tiles (in the kitchen and bathroom area);
- Artificial stone or marble.
Thanks to the use of different materials for the flooring, the kitchen or bedroom area can be separated from the general area of the living space. Carpets and walkways will also help achieve zoning..
Ceiling. For high ceilings, use ingrained industrial elements such as timber cladding, beams or trusses, ventilation pipes. Embodying a loft in the interior of a small apartment with low ceilings, it will be enough to plaster them and paint them white.
Window. In order for a sufficiently large amount of bright sunlight to enter the room, the windows should be as large as possible. The perfect combination for an American loft – floor-to-ceiling windows with a mesmerizing urban landscape.
Window frames are mostly wooden or painted with wood imitation paint. In no case should you overload windows with curtains, tulle and curtains. White cotton roller blinds will look advantageous in this laconic interior. The best option is vertical or horizontal blinds.
Zoning. The creation of a loft is based on the principle of free zoning. Freedom, light and space are the main values of style, which are extremely important to preserve when planning a home and arranging furniture..
Functional areas can be designated using partitions made of glass blocks, double-sided shelving, flooring, or different colors of the walls. Furniture is also an important element in creating the illusion of zoning. For example, a sofa will help separate the dining area from the living room..
To relieve the living space from foreign objects, special attention should be paid to utility rooms (pantry, dressing room, laundry, etc.), which are isolated from prying eyes behind the walls.
Loft-style decor and accessories. Advertising posters, graffiti, photographs, paintings, direction signs, decorative pillows, sculptures, original figurines and vases – any decorative elements of your choice will help to emphasize the uniqueness and originality of the interior. The presence of a variety of design items will make the space as holistic and lively as possible.
Loft style lighting
The loft is characterized by the use of diverse lighting sources. With the help of a large number of lamps, you can not only perfectly illuminate the space in the dark, but also zone it, emphasizing each living area separately. To illuminate such a voluminous room, they often use:
- Chandeliers. A massive chandelier chandelier is a rather unusual element for an urban interior. And yet, even among rough plaster, cold concrete and untreated brickwork, a chandelier with a metal frame and a glass shade will look perfectly appropriate. Such a detail will emphasize the charm of the style and become the central accent of the living or dining area..
- Hanging lamps. This type of lighting is popular not only for its uniqueness, but also for its functionality. Thanks to freely hanging wires – they are often used in combination with chains – such lamps can be easily lowered and raised to the desired height, creating a kind of garland.
- Floor lamps. The floor lamp will create a genuine atmosphere of comfort even in such a brutal style as a loft. Dimensional devices with large lampshades and a non-trivial silhouette (studio light, railway spotlight) are welcome.
- LED lights. This method of lighting will look especially advantageous in a small apartment. Such “magic” light will visually make the space lighter and add volume to it.
In such a spacious room, the main light may not be enough when working at a desk. In this case, it is worth making a choice in favor of the original table lamp with a flexible leg..
Loft style furniture
Loft is a style with minimal use of furniture. Depending on the direction of the style (bohemian, glamorous, industrial), it can be ultramodern or antique. In such an underground atmosphere, the connections of the old and new eras will look harmonious. So a stylish leather sofa in the living room can become the focal point of space along with a luxurious table and chairs with expensive upholstery in the dining area..
The main requirements for furniture in this style are functionality and conciseness. For example, small items (chairs, poufs, armchairs, tables, hangers) can be on wheels for easy movement around the room. Using such items, you can easily free up additional space at any time. As for materials, traditionally preference is given to leather, plastic, high-quality wood, heavy-duty steel and aluminum with chrome inlays..
It is important to avoid placing equipment and furniture close to walls. This will help to achieve the feeling of an “empty” home, in which living areas are located in islands. The tall wardrobe breaks the visual unity of the loft style. It can be replaced with a coat hanger or the contents can be placed in utility rooms, niches or pull-out cabinets under the stairs..
For the bedroom, choose a low loft-style bed in light colors. For example, a platform bed with fabric upholstery. An original bed made of metal or raw wood will help to emphasize the industrial line of style..
Loft-style kitchen furniture combines different textures and materials. Rough wooden shelves are harmoniously combined with a glass apron and a glossy set. Quite often, the kitchen is combined with the living room, separating the zones with an island, bar or sofa.
Loft style in the interior of the apartment
Housing, equipped on the basis of the workshop space, is rather unpretentious. As a rule, it does not need to be completely rescheduled. But decorating a one or two-room loft-style apartment is quite difficult. First of all, special attention should be paid to redevelopment: partially or completely demolish non-load-bearing walls.
Combining several living areas (for example, a kitchen with a living room) is possible by significantly expanding the doorways. Wide floor-to-ceiling windows will help bring in more sunlight into the space. Thus, it will seem wider and more spacious..
When choosing cladding materials, it is worth sticking to simplicity and brevity. A laminate imitating wood will perfectly fit into the interior of the living room in the loft style. Use large tiles to separate this area from the kitchen. Some walls should be left untouched, others should be casually tiled with white paint or tiled to look like brick. You don’t have to hide the ventilation system from prying eyes, communication pipes and wires – they are the ones that create the aesthetics of a real brutal loft.
Loft style in the interior of the kitchen
Often, a little space is allocated for a loft-style kitchen. As a rule, it is located in one of the corners of the living room. The interior of the kitchen combines a large amount of glass and chrome.
The central place in this area is occupied by modern technology: refrigerator, dishwasher, oven, coffee machine. Particular attention should be paid to the harmonious combination of technology doors and furniture facades..
It is better to choose furniture for the dining room adhering to the spirit of minimalism. As a bright highlight, you can use a low antique buffer or carved wooden chairs.
Loft style living room
The main accents in the interior of the living room are large windows, wooden floors, rough walls and a massive stylish sofa made of high-quality leather or dense textiles. The space near the sofa is filled with armchairs, ottomans and a coffee table. The basic rule in furniture placement is to avoid any clutter. Books and decor can be placed in open shelving or wall niches.
Loft style bedroom
The bedroom is the most secluded place in the loft atmosphere. It is customary to enclose it with walls or separate it from the main space with opaque partitions. If the ceiling height allows, the bedroom area can be moved to the second tier.
Painting the walls in plain, calm colors will help make the room more comfortable. In this case, one of the walls can be left untreated (concrete or brick). A small fireplace will dilute the rigidity of the urban style. A small bedroom will be visually expanded by a panoramic window or a wardrobe with a large mirror or glossy doors.
If desired, the bedroom can be decorated with flowers and decorative pillows. It is important to ensure that these elements do not stand out from the overall style of the loft. If the bathroom is adjacent to the bedroom, they can be separated by a glass partition or even zone the space with just a floor covering..
Loft style bathroom
The bathroom can be designed in fundamentally different directions: from seasoned eclecticism to ultra-modern high-tech. Thus, from this it is worth starting from the choice of plumbing equipment..
In this interior, it will be absolutely natural to look both an antique bathroom on legs-legs, and a multifunctional shower cabin. Complement the room with weightless glass shelves and a distinctively designed sink.
Loft style nursery
The nursery is a unique space in any home, because it is here that you can show the maximum flight of imagination. Of course, every parent wants his child to be in comfort and safety. Since the loft is quite brutal, the room of a child or teenager in this style should be diluted with bright contrasting shades..
The main accent can be an extraordinary rug, bean bags or a glass chair suspended from the ceiling. At the same time, the sleeping and working place should be as neutral as possible. They can be separated by a screen or the bed can be placed on the second tier..
Loft style hallway
The hallway should be given special attention, because it is from her that the acquaintance of guests with housing begins. The interior of such a hallway involves the use of light colors and bright lighting. For convenience, in the corridor there is a wardrobe or hidden niches for outerwear.
Loft-style country house
It is much easier to decorate the interior of a house in the loft style than in a small apartment. The large open space is ideal for recreating the atmosphere of a factory floor. Of course, the facade of the house is the face of the entire home. Its decoration speaks volumes about the lifestyle of the owners. The owners of brick houses often decorate not only the interior, but also the facade in an urban style. A light atmosphere of freedom will be created by rough wall decoration, wide windows and a brown or gray roof..
Loft style in a studio apartment
A one-room loft definitely has a right to exist. Using the characteristic elements of this style, even a small space can be successfully decorated..
Now let’s watch some videos about real lofts in New York:
On our website, we often talk about loft-style interiors from all over the world. Here are some examples:
– Creative loft for a famous actress in New York
– Stylish loft in Switzerland
– Loft with aplpian potatoes in Moscow
– Loft at its best in New York
– Bright loft in Sydney